Cyber Threat Intelligence Tools: A Step Ahead Of the Enemy
A vast majority of security events that warrant cyber threat intelligence tools within a corporation or business are inside jobs where an employee has made a gross misjudgment by likely opening an email containing some type of virus. It is imperative to begin your cybersecurity journey by implementing training for the entire organization on what cyber crime is, including the tools that hackers will use to gain access to the business and what the employees should be suspicious of and what to look out for. If your team was aware of the constant ‘bullets’ that the cyber threat analysis team was having to dodge in order to protect their company, there would quickly begin to grow a culture of respect around the cyber intelligence services.
• Goal. There has to be a desire to carry out this attack; a purpose or an objective. There must be meaning behind the threat.
• Ability. There need to be available resources at the disposal for anyone to be able to carry out the threat. They must feel your company is available, vulnerable, at risk.
• Chance. There has to be a way in, know the way around the system security, have the appropriate tools and procedures to accomplish the goal, and perfect timing. The security for your company was such that the criminals were able to stalk you to the point of learning all they needed to know in order to gain access without detection.
All businesses no matter how large or small are vulnerable to the dangers of cyber crime. Data has become the most valuable commodity even over oil within the world. We are in an age where people are making a fortune off of our information. The only line of defense that we have as individuals and businesses is developing a cybersecurity plan. If businesses don’t take this step, they are leaving themselves exposed to possible data leaks and, worst case scenario, business loss.
Cyber Threat Intelligence Tools
The ever evolving threats surrounding us are becoming more and more sophisticated using a variety of stealth capabilities in order to avoid being detected. Cyber threat analysis tools are constantly in motion with files throughout the duration of their lifetime to assess for these threats and if they identify one, it is noted and blocked universally. While cyber threat intelligence tools are not in and of themselves a solution to cyber crime, it is a crucial element to the protection and prevention. It has grown from simply a system that would either allow or deny permission to access to where it can take action and defend against the actual threats ultimately resulting in blocking of the culprit.
Having some type of cyber threat intelligence in line for your company will put you one step ahead of the cyber criminals. Threat intelligence tools will afford your organization the following benefits:
• You will be able to provide risk management to your business through the use of threat intelligence tools that will gain you access to information allowing you to protect personnel records and company assets.
• Your threat intelligence services will actively monitor incidents in order to Prevent theft or fraud prior to the actions occurring.
• A threat intelligence company can inform you of how vulnerable your business’s presence on the internet actually is, what threats are being faced, and the associated risks as well as advise on steps you can take to stabilize those risks with current information to aid in making those decisions as to which issues should be addressed first and how.
• Having active threat intelligence will aid your security team in recognizing and stopping breaches in security.
• Threat intelligence can provide education to current security administrations regarding active cyber threat criminals, what their modes of operation are, and the tools that they implement which will strengthen the security team’s knowledge and add to their skills.
• Allows the surveillance of social sites as well as online medium for any inclination of your company or brand.
• Ongoing activity of hacktivists or cyber criminals which are specific to your particular industry can be tracked and the online communication channels are actively monitored for all notions of criminal activity or intention of such. You will have access to any information on threats both new and emerging and the criminals.
Threat actors are increasingly inventing ever-evolving tools as well as sophisticated techniques to allow them to obtain the data that they want. Data is a gold mine for them over any other commodity, priceless. They are becoming a genius at recognizing gaps as well as vulnerabilities in a company’s security. This is what they live for. This is their business.
The focus of cyber threat intelligence needs to be on the priorities of the business if it is to be at all useful or successful. The security operations of an organization need to be enhanced while the company’s skills in making decisions are as well which will aid in reducing the overall risk. In order to be a step ahead of the cyber criminals, threat intelligence will have to be:
• Fast. Cyber criminals act quickly. Intelligence needs to be a step ahead.
• Correct. Intelligence needs to be accurate in the information they gather.
• Action. The company will actually have recourse against the attack that has been viewed.
• Worthy. Intelligence needs to produce the information to the company that will be beneficial in helping the company in some way.
Cyber threat intelligence tools that operate with these abilities will be essential for a company and aid in keeping the organization out of harm’s way. This type of intelligence coupled with enterprise security will motivate cyber criminals to give up on trying to find their way in. It will be too much work for them. They’ll move on to a more vulnerable victim. Hopefully, once enough of us catch on to this intelligence, the criminals will be left with no more victims.